Ryan's Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

STP Prep

These last two weeks have felt like a really wierd waiting period. I'm never really a fan of that; when I don't have a clear purpose in mind I just get really lazy. For instance, yesterday I spend about an hour driving around aimlessly working on a new accent. I call it "William Shatner born Irish having met John Lennon of the Beatles." My two biggest stumbling blocks were "r"s and long "o"s, rendering words like "road" and "world" with either to heavy of an Iriah tint, or sounding like I was Canadian. Everytime I pulled up to a stoplight the people next to me probably thought I was crazy because I was talking to myself so much.

Nevertheless, I have had some great time working through Nehemiah and picking out leadership qualities in the stout little wall-builder. After talking with B-ditty about this he illuminated the fact that it took Nehemiah 52 days to build a wall. Similarly, I have about 2 months to build a team and lead them to God. My favorite insight was Nehemiah's mission statement in 2:17-18. People--and I would say guys in particular--cling to a mission. Nothing bonds together a group of men more. This summer I want to join the guys and together make seaking the Lord and serving others our mission. I searched forever for a mission statement because I didn't want to steal Bryce's during his STP, but in the end decided I couldn't top it.

5May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

Romans 15:5-7


If you would, join me in praying that God would give a spirit of unity to the guys on my team that would be so sweet that other teams and members of the program would be encouraged and bonded together because of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I recently retook the myers briggs test and scored an ESTJ. Your thoughts? Agree, disagree, surprised, or does it fit?

4 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

so, I am an INFP, meaning our personality traits are exactly opposite. weird.

May 29, 2007 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

hahah. yes, ESTJ suites you perfectly. and yay for blogs!! i love reading about what people are up to. yay for STP! i really like your verse by the way. Unity was something God spoke to me about at the beginning of this year when i felt like withdrawing from people at the beginning of the year.

May 29, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

oh yeah.. i wanted to elaborate on the personality thing. i can see how ESTJ suites your personality, but you're extremely considerate and flexible, so that throws off the personality description (i think). ;-) i can see you having a BLAST this summer in Colorado. =)

May 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Joanna Kay said...

Hey Ryan! I like your mission statement for this summer. Mine for 2004 STP was Romans 12:9-21 but specifically 9-12... *Love must be sincere, hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.*
I'm praying for you this summer. Enjoy STP and climb mountains! Albert is a beast!

May 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home